Episode 1661 Talkback - Top Five Childhood Favorite Comics

2»

Comments

• ChrisMurrinChrisMurrin Posts: 127
    Here are mine, as best as I can remember.

#5 Batman: A Death in the Family TPB - This is the book that took me from occasional reader to fully dipped comic collector. The story showed younger me how serious and impactful comics could be.

#4 Star Wars #1 - I was way into Star Wars from the get-go from the commericals and toys but was a little scared by Chewbacca at first, so I was afraid to see the movie. Reading the comic made me determined to see the movie, even though Chewbacca doesn't appear in the issue.

#3 Power Records, Spider-Man: The Mark of the Man-Wolf - I think I got this on a family trip and devoured it hundreds of times.

#2 Iron Man #163 - One of the first back issues I ever bought and the start of my collection of Iron Man single issues, which now extends from Tales of Suspense #84 to the present. Nothing special about it other than my nostalgia, though I thought the Chessmen was a fun idea at the time.

#1 X-Men #207 - Bought in one of those plastic three packs as a present from my father, this book introduced me to Wolverine and started the casual comic buying that would develop into the hobby. The cover alone blew my mind. I once had a T-shirt airbrushed on the boardwalk in Ocean City of the cover, and I have a Chris Giarusso recreation in my art collection. If it weren't for this book, I would probably be hanging out on a Phillies forum right now.
    1.Kickers, Inc. #1 (November, 1986) - "This Legend Born" Tom Defalco, Ron Frenz, Sal Buscema and their distinguished colleagues gave us the Action Comics #1 of our time with the origin and introduction of the greatest superhero of any time, Jack "Mr. Magnificent" Magniconte. Magniconte! Oh, to be an 11 year old comics fan and be present for the birth of a New Universe.

2.Captain America #332 (August, 1987) - "The Choice" Mark Gruenwald, Tom Morgan, Bob McLeod and their esteemed associates gave us the mind blowing moment when Steve Rogers decided to resign from being Captain America (at least mind blowing for a boy of 12 who didn't know Steve had resigned from the role before). All of that for 75 cents and one of the greatest covers of any age by Mike Zeck and Klaus Janson.

3.The Man of Steel #1 (October, 1986) - "From Out of the Green Dawn" John Byrne, Dick Giordano and their venerable cohorts tell one of the best and most often retold stories in comics better than anyone else has done it, before or since. And that is really saying something. And, again, to be an 11 year old comics fan and be around to witness the launch of the post Crisis DCU. Heady stuff, my friends and neighbors. Heady stuff, indeed.

4.G.I. Joe A Real American Hero #22 (April, 1984) - "Like Chimney Sweepers Come To Dust" Larry Hama, Mike Vosburg, Jon D'Agostino and their praise worthy proletariat follow up the all-time great silent issue with the unforgettable first comic book appearances of Duke and Roadblock and one of best Joe covers ever by Klaus Janson. I missed this particular issue at the spinner rack but one of my schoolmates was kind enough to let me have his already well worn copy which I proceeded to read to a pile of pulp and dust.

5.The Transformers #25 (February, 1987) - "Gone But Not Forgotten" Bob Budiansky, Don Perlin, Ian Aiken, Brian Garvey and their commendable comrades gave us what up until that point was Megatron's worst day ever. And another incredible cover from the late and truly worthy of the term great Herb Trimpe. Another copy I read to shreds.

• BionicDaveBionicDave Posts: 204

the origin and introduction of the greatest superhero of any time, Jack "Mr. Magnificent" Magniconte. Magniconte!

I knew this would be an awesome list when you kicked it off with Kickers Inc.! :joy: Bravo on your choices
  • matchkitJOHNmatchkitJOHN Posts: 954
    edited August 10

Seeing this was hard.

And since it's the month of King Kirby's 100th. I really enjoyed the images of this run.

• ChrisBeckettChrisBeckett Posts: 352
    @johnnyhateschachi
    That run of G.I. Joe issues through the 20s, with "Silent Interlude", the capture and escape of Cobra Commander, and the origin of Snake-Eyes, is just a stellar run of comics, and Hama & co. kept that up for many, many issues to follow.

And those covers. Damn...

Comic books and soap operas use melodrama so damn well. This is such an emotional moment :.[
  • peteloafpeteloaf Posts: 2
    edited August 11
    This is likely the Spider-Man comic Murd was referring to as his number . Cover dated December 1986 image
  • I don't post here very often, but I do listen to nearly every podcast and I felt compelled to respond to this episode with my own top 5 picks. I'm a sucker for nostalgia.

5. Peter Parker the Spectacular Spider-Man #100

This was the first comic I ever owned, along with another one on this list. My family was on Christmas break, taking a road trip to see the grandparents, and when we stopped at a gas station, my Mom popped inside to get everyone snacks. To my surprise, she came back with two comic books for me, which I still own to this day. I read and reread these two issues and, although I often read the paltry selection of Superman comics my Grandma kept for us, this was when I developed my love for comics. Thanks, Mom! This was also my first exposure to the Kingpin. I already knew Spider-Man from the cartoons.

4. Batman and the Outsiders #19

I got this one along with the Spider-Man comic above. This series ended up being one of my favorites and this is the Batman I know and love and still have yet to see fulfilled in any movie or TV show. Maybe someday.

3. What if... the Hulk Went Berzerk? #45

I love this comic because it takes a dark look at alternate outcomes and I always found that fascinating. Plus, !spoilers! Hulk kills 3/4s of the FF and Iron Man and that kind of blew my little kid mind. I had a period in my childhood when I was very sick and I remember lying in bed reading a Hulk trade (although they were more like traditional paperbacks than the trades we have now) which helped take my mind off how awful I felt. Curiously, the liquid medicine I had to take was Hulk green, so I thought that was a funny coincidence. Point being, I had a love of Hulk and seeing him going apeshit was pretty awesome.

2. Daredevil #220

Although Born Again would shortly follow, this was my first Daredevil comic and it actually had one of the biggest impacts on me of any comic. Here was a dark tale of a hero who had some real complexity to him in a literally foggy backdrop. Not only was the writing tight, but the artwork by Mazzuchelli was like nothing I'd seen before. Daredevil was so graceful and balletic and the reaction panels were haunting. And the story? Heather calls Matt in distress. He begrudgingly shows up, disses her hard and abandons her. Next morning, he finds that she hanged herself. Or did she? Even though Matt wasn't entirely responsible for her death, the question hangs throughout the issue and it lends such a weight to this character that other comics that followed had a hard time measuring up.

1. Batman - Robin Meets Man-Bat Power Record

"This can't be happening! But it is! I've become... a Man-Bat!"

You can listen to it here:
    http://powerrecord.blogspot.com/2007/12/batman-robin-meets-man-bat.html

I listened to this so many times as a kid. I absolutely loved this story and this format. Listening to it right now really takes me back. I haven't heard this in over 30 years. The combination of a paper comic and soundtrack with voice acting and sound effects and music was pure comic book gold.
  • bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,581

I don't post here very often, but I do listen to nearly every podcast and I felt compelled to respond to this episode with my own top 5 picks. I'm a sucker for nostalgia.

Great picks and great post, @infinitetofu! Thanks for sharing.

Great picks and great post, @infinitetofu! Thanks for sharing.

Agreed! Love looking at these covers, and also hearing why these issues mean so much to you.
  • TheOriginalGManTheOriginalGMan Posts: 1,544

This was the first comic I ever owned, along with another one on this list. My family was on Christmas break, taking a road trip to see the grandparents, and when we stopped at a gas station, my Mom popped inside to get everyone snacks. To my surprise, she came back with two comic books for me, which I still own to this day. I read and reread these two issues and, although I often read the paltry selection of Superman comics my Grandma kept for us, this was when I developed my love for comics. Thanks, Mom! This was also my first exposure to the Kingpin. I already knew Spider-Man from the cartoons.

Man, that's a great story. Good stuff, right there.