-chris
  • popestupopestu Posts: 782

Jenkin's and Buckingham's Spidey
  • bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,717

Sin-Kev-Itch

-chris

That's gallery level work. Bill is a master craftsman

• HexHex Posts: 897

Whoops!! Wrong one. Thanks for the correction, @Hex!

There was a thread a while back about the original art for this splash spread going up for auction. I don't think the final selling price was revealed, but it was expected to go for well over $150K.

A few of Jack "King" Kirby's splash pages from his 1976 run on Marvel's The Eternals.

• ToneboneTonebone Posts: 676

aquatroy said:

The first time I saw this wasn't the original comic, but as a pinup with a numbered chart identifying all the characters in the back of a Superboy and the Legion of Super-Heroes treasury-sized edition. That treasury, and particularly this two-page spread, was my introduction to the Legion.
    It was your introduction and Cockrum's exit. DC's refusal to give him back these two pages caused him to sever his ties with the company forever.
    Elektra: Assassin #8
    March 1987
    Splash Page 17
    Bill Sienkiewicz
  • aquatroyaquatroy Posts: 345

Elektra: Assassin #8
    March 1987
    Splash Page 17
    Bill Sienkiewicz

I need to read this again.
    Swamp Thing #4, page 18
    May 1973
    Bernie Wrightson

Couple more Bernie Wrightson splash pages from House of Secrets

Strange Tales #94
    March 1962
    Steve Ditko

• popestupopestu Posts: 782

Bernie Wrightson didn't just do horror. Here's a neat splash from Marvel Graphic Novel #29 Incredible Hulk and the Thing: The Big Chance Splash Page 40

I recently sold my copy of this. The art outclassed the writing.
    edited May 23

X-Men vs. the LoSH!
    Not a Splash (sorry), but it's one of my favorite X-Men images.
  • nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 5,021
    edited May 23
    aquatroy said:

You could put this in the Classic Ads thread, as this is the original art for an X-Men house ad. And, yeah, I loved this one as a kid too. I think it was Iceman as a snowman, and the turn of Colossus’ head that got me.

aquatroy said:

You could put this in the Classic Ads thread, as this is the original art for an X-Men house ad. And, yeah, I loved this one as a kid too. I think it was Iceman as a snowman, and the turn of Colossus’ head that got me.
    The first place I saw this was in the back of an Incredible Hulk magazine. I don't remember the issue. I think it was just before GS X-Men 1 or X-men 94. The second place was on a Slurpee Cup.
  • nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 5,021
    edited May 23
    This is how I first saw it in the pages of a three or four different comics, announcing the relaunch. I liked the ad, but it was a long time before I actually bought an X-Men comic. I was never much of an X-Men guy. I probably would have gotten that Slurpee cup if I had seen it though.

Let's get this back on track. To the late Rich Buckler
  • ChrisBeckettChrisBeckett Posts: 364
    Posted some BWS Storyteller covers in the covers thread. Here are a couple of splash pages. I love how much detail he filled these pages with. Amazing.

-chris
  • fredzillafredzilla Posts: 2,023
    Finished up The Flash by Mark Said Book One last week and on to Book Two. I've never heard of Greg LaRocque prior to these books, but I'm digging his art. I've scanned ahead into Book Two his style has really gotten better. Here's some splash pages from The Flash #79 "The Once and Future Flash"

Here's a cool one from The Flash #77 "Suicide Run"

Marvel Premiere (v2) #9 (featuring Dr. Strange Master of the Mystic Arts)
    July 1973
    Pencils: Frank Brunner
    Inks: Ernie Chan [as Ernie Chua]

Frank Brunner masterfully combined a Neal Adams-inspired realism with the classic Steve Ditko psychedelia to create his own brand-new style that would re-define the Master of the Mystic Arts for the 70's
    In honor of the WW movie