Marvel in the C.B. Cebulski Era (News, New Title Announcements, etc.)

As Marvel heads into 2018, and under the new leadership of EIC C.B. Cebulski, there have been a number of series cancelled, and there has been some recent discussion on that here, including what it might signal about Cebulski's direction as EIC.

And now some new titles are being announced. To be clear, these may or may not be an indication of the direction he will go in as Marvel's EIC, as there is a chance these were pitches that were in, or titles already in development when he took over in November. But they are getting published in his era, and it will be interesting to see where he takes things.

To start with, the first two new announcements I have seen (and I can easily have missed others, so please add those in if you see them) are some fan-favorite throwback X-books--

Domino, starting in April, written by Gail Simone, in her first Marvel work in over 10 years, I think, and artist TBD.

The Exiles, also starting in April. Written by Saladin Ahmed (Black Bolt) and artist Javier Rodriguez. With Blink leading a new team, that partners with The Unseen (what the original Nick Fury turned into at the end of Original Sin).

Comments

• Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,127
    My impression of Marvel under Axel was that they were willing to let books slide way down the charts before pulling the plug. I'm curious if Cebulski's Marvel will tolerate sub-15k to 10k books. I hope neither of these titles has to worry about it.
  • BrackBrack Posts: 547
    Why on earth have they not got Rodriguez doing the art on the cover the first issue of his comic? He's a great artist and one of his strengths is his covers.
  • SpanoManoSpanoMano Posts: 12
    I could get in to domino. I have liked Gail Simone’s work in the past and the character has interesting powers that I’m not too familiar with. Plus I’m sure with her being in Deadpool she’s they are planning for a big push with her.
  • David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,503
    Welcome back, @SpanoMano !
  • SpanoManoSpanoMano Posts: 12
    Thank you @David_D it’s good to be home!
  • David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,503
    I guess this first happened in Marvel Legacy #1 (I haven't read it yet) but it seems the non-Old Man Logan is on his way back from the dead to the MU, starting in April. A miniseries called The Hunt For Wolverine, but Soule and Marquez will start in April.

• BrackBrack Posts: 547
    Wolverine's been showing up in one pagers in current comics. I've seen him show up in Captain America and Thor so far. Not only has he escaped the adamantium statue he was entombed in he also has an Infinity Stone (not sure which one, as the colours have switched - see GotG for more details).

Presumably enough people bought Death of Wolverine and Wolverines to warrant Soule doing the belated follow up to his story. I'm not that bothered with the whys and wherefores of how Logan's back, I'd rather just get into where he's going from here.

And all the other Wolverines (6 at my last count - Laura, Gabby, Daken, Old Man, Jimmy and Clayton) can stay around too, as all their books are a lot of fun. Especially All New Wolverine, that's a real high bar to get over.
  • PendelStevenPendelSteven Posts: 4
    edited January 21
    I kind of agree about the wolverines. Especially Laura and Old Man need to stay of course.

Anyhow, I think it's long due time for an episode on Marvel current for CGS. This said, the podcast should have various guest podcasters to help with topics like this. But none the less, concerning Cebulski and the takeover of Fox by Disney... Let's have a Marvel in 2018 podcast, please!