California Fires - Some Sad Comic-related News.

KQED (The San Francisco Bay Area's PBS station) is reporting that one of the many out of control fires in Northern Califonia's wine country has claimed the home of the late Peanut's creator Charles Schulz. Schultz's widow Jean escaped, but all of their memorabilia is gone. The fires have really hit California hard. So far, over 3,500 structures have been destroyed, 2,834 of them homes, and the latest report I saw indicated the death toll has hit 31.

Comments

• nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 5,216
    edited October 13
    Yeah, I heard about this a few days ago. Luckily, most of the original artwork and memorabilia was kept at the museum, which so far remains undamaged. One of the sons’ home was destroyed as well though.
  • Fade2BlackFade2Black Posts: 1,420

Yeah, I heard about this a few days ago. Luckily, most of the original artwork and memorabelia was kept at the museum, which so far remains undamaged...

Well, that's a relief.
    nweathington, do you happen to know if Jane's World creator Paige Baddock is still affiliated with the Schultz Museum?
  • nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 5,216
    edited October 13

Yeah, I heard about this a few days ago. Luckily, most of the original artwork and memorabelia was kept at the museum, which so far remains undamaged...

Well, that's a relief.
    nweathington, do you happen to know if Jane's World creator Paige Baddock is still affiliated with the Schultz Museum?
    I don’t think she was ever part of the museum per se. She’s still listed as the Executive VP and Creative Director of the Charles M. Schulz Studio though—that’s the company that oversees all the licensing artwork and such. The museum and the studio are two separate entities.
  • phansfordphansford Posts: 209
    Very sad to hear..... the Museum has been posting on Facebook that they are closed.

I have family in Santa Rosa.... I was just out there in 2013. Its a beautiful town and the entire area (Sonoma and Napa Counties) are beautiful rural areas with little hamlets. My family is safe and they have not been evacuated.... but they have many friends who have lost everything.

• BionicDaveBionicDave Posts: 286
    This is such a heartbreaking story about Jean Schultz, and obviously the devastating fire itself. Thank goodness the winds are finally dying down this week and the firefighters will be able to contain this.
    Cartoonist Brian Fies' amazing account of the fire that wiped out his home might just be my favorite "comic" of the year.

• BionicDaveBionicDave Posts: 286
    @Fade2Black - Wow. Such a sobering splash of reality. I think most Californians still don't quite realize they've suddenly got thousands of local refugees.
  • WebheadWebhead Posts: 450

Cartoonist Brian Fies' amazing account of the fire that wiped out his home might just be my favorite "comic" of the year.

I've been in the fire damaged area a couple of times since the fire first happened and the level of devastation is mind boggling. The comment about the Starbucks in the video is so on the money. I've seen block of homes destroyed and then the fire just would skip over a building or a structure. One image that sticks in my mind is a home/ranch I passed that is burn to the ground along with a couple of vehicles but on the property is a large home made billboard that advertises ballroom dance classes that is untouched by the fire.

If you can donate to the Red Cross to help the victims please do.
    The Charles M. Schulz Museum will be hosting a fundraiser on December 9th.
    (The image is linked to the museum's website.)