Crazy prices on digital trades on Amazon-Comixology-Kindle (Amazon Sale) - Digital Bin-diving!

So Amazon owns Comixology right? Well it seems like there is a difference in pricing for comic trades via Amazon versus Comixology.

This week on Monday I bought Planet Hulk on sale for $7.99. Woo-hoo! I thought I had a great deal for a digital version. Well fast forward to Wednesday and I see it for $2.99 on Amazon/Kindle! Yes $2.99! I contacted Comixology customer service and they wrote the following:

Hi there, John.

We are a separate store than the Kindle store so prices can vary. Due to the nature of our store all sales are final and we don't generally offer refunds or exchanges. However, as a one time exception we've refunded the difference.

Best Regards,
Jose

So they refunded my $5 and today Planet Hulk is $5 on Amazon and on Comixology today it's $24.99. And you can read both on Comixology. When you buy off Amazon look for the buy now and read on Comixology symbol on the Amazon page for the book.

Another example is Infinity Gauntlet is $10.99 on Comixology and $2.20 on Amazon and it says you can read it on Comixology.

Night Nurse $7.99 on Comixology and $1.60 on Amazon and can be read on Comixology. Yes, Night Nurse.

Warlock by Jim Starlin $14.99 on Comixology and on Amazon it's $3.00! THREE DOLLARS! I just got the paper trade so I might get this too.

I also saw like the first six volumes of Exiles ranging from $2-3 per trade. I can replace my floppies for like $20.

So my bottomline is that if you see some collections you want on Comixology and even if it's on sale go to Amazon and check the price there. You might save yourself a few bucks. I saw nothing that indicated these were sale prices but maybe I will go back and check in a month. With Marvel Unlimited and now Marvel on Comixology Unlimited maybe digital trades will keep dropping?

Maybe you guys can take a look for some trades you have been thinking about getting digitally and posts the difference in prices here. Once I get my bills paid this weekend I am going to hit this hard.

FYI @brydeemer

Comments

• mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 3,129
    I just cleaned up on exiles! Thanks for the tip
    edited June 2
    The Complete age of Apocalypse are 3/4 bucks a pop on Amazon.
  • matchkitJOHNmatchkitJOHN Posts: 969
    edited June 2
    It's crazy. I got Black Panther Secret Invasion 39-41 for $1.00 I was planning to do a culling of my paper copies this month and this sale or price drop or whatever is making it easy to get rid of some things.
    I narrowed down my search on Amazon to Books - Comics and Graphic Novels - Marvel Books (I haven't checked DC yet) - 4 starts and up - Kindle Edition. This narrowed the list down to 3200 and then I sorted by price. I got a few this morning and I want to finish up tonight.
    mwhitt80 said:

I just cleaned up on exiles! Thanks for the tip

More than welcome! Enjoy!
    Looks like you were able to eliminate single issues which I still had.
  • GregGreg Posts: 1,904
    I lost count of how many trades I just picked up. Thanks @matchkitJOHN, got a ton of stuff I've never read and series that I never had the chance to finish.
    Greg said:

I lost count of how many trades I just picked up. Thanks @matchkitJOHN, got a ton of stuff I've never read and series that I never had the chance to finish.

You're welcome. I have never read God Loves, Man Kills and now I can for 80 cents and takes up no room on my shelf!
  • MarathonMarathon Posts: 305
    Just had a look on Amazon.co.uk and it has the huge discounts as well. These prices are a "Wonder" for Women as well as Men*

I'm sure it's got nothing to do with taking the attention away from a particular film this weekend...
  • fredzillafredzilla Posts: 2,031
    I snagged a few last night and paid only $10 for The Incredible Hulk Visionaries (Peter David) Vols. 1 and 2, Hulk: The End, and Warlock by Jim Starlin: The Complete Collection. This morning I got an email from Amazon that said I qualified for a special credit because of the purchase and picked up the X-Factor Epic Collection. Those Epic Collections are worth the price of admission themselves. They're normally $35 and are on sale for 90% off ($3-$4)! Decided to pick up Mark Waid and Mike Wieringo's Fantastic Four series as well.
    I know have all 10 of the Lee-Kirby FF Masterworks. Pick up the last five for $3.40 each. SMH in a good way!
    Doesn't seem to be any digital collections of Byrne's run on FF. I have the issues and some trades but this would have been a nice addition.
  • bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,776

Doesn't seem to be any digital collections of Byrne's run on FF. I have the issues and some trades but this would have been a nice addition.

I've noticed that too. Wonder why that is? Surely his run is available on Marvel Unlimited, so the scans have been done.
    edited June 6
    It's over. I hope everyone had fun. I know I did. I'll post my haul later. But prices are still half of what they are on Comixology! FF Masterworks are $8.50 and I would snatch those up in a heartbeat if I hadn't already. Still some good deals just not crazy good deals!

• luke52luke52 Posts: 1,310
    Well this was a nice sale. Picked up a bunch of stuff I wanted to read...

Vision vol.1
    Vision vol.2
    Stephen Kings N.
    Avengers: Standoff
    Hulk: The End
    Invincible Iron Man vols 1-3
    Doctor Strange and the Sorcerers Supreme vol.1
    Secret Invasion
    Secret Invasion: Who Do You Trust?
    Civil War 2

There's just one problem with this sale, and that's finding time to read all this along with a growing pile of floppies and trades too.
    luke52 said:

Well this was a nice sale. Picked up a bunch of stuff I wanted to read...

Vision vol.1
    Vision vol.2
    Stephen Kings N.
    Avengers: Standoff
    Hulk: The End
    Invincible Iron Man vols 1-3
    Doctor Strange and the Sorcerers Supreme vol.1
    Secret Invasion
    Secret Invasion: Who Do You Trust?
    Civil War 2

There's just one problem with this sale, and that's finding time to read all this along with a growing pile of floppies and trades too.

Most of my purchases was to replace my paper floppies and trades. The ability to replace 10-12 issues for the price of one floppy was a great trade-off. Got some new stuff too. I'm going to take a break and see how long these still lower prices last.
    This was the worst...
    Exiles volumes 1-7 (never read)
    Age of Apocalypse Epic Books 0-4 ( so I don't have to dig through my issues)
    God Loves Man Kills (never read)
    Xfactor Epic volume 1 (been ages since I've read)
    Excalibur Epic volume 1 (just wanted it my collection)
    New Mutants Epic volume 1 (time to add a trade to my give away pile)

• Kindle Unlimited has free trades available so catching up with the MS. MARVEL and the Darth Vader stuff..

And any LITRPG genre books as well. Love this subgenre of fiction
  • luke52luke52 Posts: 1,310
    This huge sale is back on. Anything new worth getting?
    edited September 19
    luke52 said:

This huge sale is back on. Anything new worth getting?

So far I got the four trades that make up the Waid Daredevil run in San Fran for $8.00 total.
    Jessica Jones vol 1 for $2.20
    The Might Thor Vols 1-3 for $8.00
    and for whatever reason one of those purchases earned me a free trade from a list of 75. I picked the first Whedon/Cassady Astonishing X-Men trade.
  • I am looking for recommendations for Marvel trades that have a good “reread” factor. Usually when I want to binge on Marvel, I turn on my unlimited membership and dive in to get my 10 bucks worth. Anyone have any ideas on stuff that is worth owning and rereading?
  • I am looking for recommendations for Marvel trades that have a good “reread” factor. Usually when I want to binge on Marvel, I turn on my unlimited membership and dive in to get my 10 bucks worth. Anyone have any ideas on stuff that is worth owning and rereading?

For me it's anything I have on my shelves that I consider a classic and I want to own it digitally. Dark Phoenix saga, Days of Future Past, Daredevil Born Again, Civil War, and Planet Hulk. Getting these makes it easier to get rid of my print copies. Those are some nice classics.

I just recently read the Cap side of the Tales of Suspense Masterworks and really enjoyed the Kirby art. I got these during the last sale and paid only like $4.40 for both trades.

The X-men's God Loves, Man Kills is only 80 cents right now. Surf through the sale and some other things will pop out.
    I completed my Lee/Kirby Fantastic Four Masterworks Collection for about $13 with this sale. All-in-all, I think I've spent the same amount acquiring the first 100-or so issues of FF that I would have spent buying just one of the actual hardcover masterworks books.
  • TravisTravis Posts: 20
    I use the Hoopla digital app with my local library card and they have all kinds of DC and image trades. They add new stuff almost everyday and its FREE. You can checkout 10 books a month and you have 21 days to read them. I've read all of Saga, The Boys and tons of DC Rebirth stuff since downloading it last November. It's not just new books they have older collections as well.

Also, if you have Amazon Prime they have some Marvel trades in the prime reading section you can read for free.
  • This Hoopla thing is life changing! Thanks!
    Strangers in Paradise is on sale.
    I miss you @JamieD
  • fredzilla said:

I completed my Lee/Kirby Fantastic Four Masterworks Collection for about $13 with this sale. All-in-all, I think I've spent the same amount acquiring the first 100-or so issues of FF that I would have spent buying just one of the actual hardcover masterworks books.

I did the same thing with the FF too and Amazing Spider-man. Did the first 200 issues for each! The last sale put me over the top.
    Not the Amazon sale, but ComiXology is having a sale on DC Rebirth titles. Anything worth getting?