Logan (Spoilers) - Seen it? Discuss it here!

A new thread to get into the spoilers. (With a tip of the hat to @Mr_Cosmic for the reminder).

Have at it! Hoping to see it in the next few days, too.

Comments

• spidspid Posts: 197
    edited March 4
    To put it simply Logan is a fantastic movie. The emotional beats hit all the right notes. The action scenes while sometimes hard to follow in the beginning are phenomenal. I am glad the film going audience finally gets to see the essence of who Wolverine is in the comics. Wolverine is a man with many flaws, and the X-Men make him a better man. This movie takes no shortcuts in laying all those flaws bare for you to see.

Logan is so good that it makes me more upset that Fox has churned out some really compromised X-Men movies in the past. They were not all bad of course Deadpool is great, and X-Men First Class hits the right notes for the most part. In lot of cases there is just a fundamental disconnect between who the X-Men and Fantastic Four are, and what is presented on the screen. I am glad to see they are getting out of the way and letting some of their movies be what they are should have always been.

Lastly you have to give it up for Hugh Jackman and Patrick Stewart who have played the same characters for 18 years, and you never feel like they are just there for a paycheck. They are always trying to do their best with what they are given.

• RickMRickM Posts: 407
    X-23 is a fantastic character. I thought she was a breath of fresh air in the X-Men franchise.

Overall, the movie is intriguing. I loved the set-up of the near-future, very dark story and the way they kept the cast of characters relatively small. You have Logan, Xavier, Laura, and the bald guy and that's pretty much it for mutants.
  • Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,069
    edited March 4
    Loved it. It was a brutal, violent movie that was also very touching. I admit that I'm a sucker for "the old washed up hero saving the day one last time" type of stories.

Nitpicks and questions:

The North Dakota/Canadian border is very flat in the east and a litttle more "hilly" in the west. No mountain passes or forests..sorry.

How convenient that Logan and Xavier had a mutant tracker living with them for the bad guys to exploit.

They were able to find Eden from the coordinates..how? Especially as they got closer and X-23 was driving. I don't remember seeing a GPS and road maps wouldn't help.

All those kids got to Eden but no adults made it?

What exactly was Eden really(hunting camp? Forest ranger camp?) and how did it's location end up in a comic?

They hinted that Xavier had done something bad..what was it?

• RedRight88RedRight88 Posts: 1,181
    Here are my thoughts.

Contains Spoilers.
  • spidspid Posts: 197
    Mr_Cosmic said:

All those kids got to Eden but no adults made it?

What exactly was Eden really(hunting camp? Forest ranger camp?) and how did it's location end up in a comic?

They hinted that Xavier had done something bad..what was it?

Xavier had a seizure that injured 400 people and killed at least seven X-Men. They basically flipped the Old Man Logan big reveal to be Prof X who killed the X-Men instead of Logan.

• CorwinCorwin Posts: 541
    Best X-Men movie.
  • MattMatt Posts: 3,920
    My one criticism; too much swearing. I don't mind swearing (I fucking do it all the time), but sometimes it felt like they swore because of the R rating. It felt forced.

M
  • CageNarleighCageNarleigh Posts: 669
    Best part of the movie? Hearing Professor X say...

• WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    Finally got to see it.

Beautiful.

First X-Men script worthy of Patrick Stewart. (It's tough watching him play feeble and fragile--I'm glad I just saw the videos of him and his new rescue dog, and know he was just Acting!)
  • batlawbatlaw Posts: 841
    Finally saw it last night. It was good. Depressing, but good. Good as it was though, I think it's getting a bit more praise than it deserves. It really wasn't THAT spectacular. I was really expecting to be blown away by something based on reviews and word of mouth. Also seemed there was going to be some big reveal or something. Just a bunch a fights with lots of slashing, death and blood with some good performances.
  • bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,861
    Wow. This looks really cool and makes me sad.

Logan Noir comes included as a bonus feature on the Logan Blu-ray coming out next week.

As I recall, Mad Max: Fury Road also released a b&w version.

This is an interesting essay

• MattMatt Posts: 3,920
    Good deleted scene.

This is an interesting essay that posits that Logan is the peak of the superhero films and will mark the end of the genre. Give it a watch.

“If Marvel and DC do not eventually deliver a final ending, then they are depriving the audience not only of one of the fundamental parts of a good story but also the most beautiful and most emotionally touching parts as well.”
  • fredzillafredzilla Posts: 2,037

“If Marvel and DC do not eventually deliver a final ending, then they are depriving the audience not only of one of the fundamental parts of a good story but also the most beautiful and most emotionally touching parts as well.”

Sounds like something I'd say after reading an event by the Big Two.

• CaptShazamCaptShazam Posts: 1,146

This is an interesting essay that posits that Logan is the peak of the superhero films and will mark the end of the genre. Give it a watch.

I wonder how the television side of the super hero genre affects this? A lack of a story ending may be the demise of the movie side, but I think the over saturation of the tv market will be a major factor in the eventual demise of the genre overall. More and more shows seem to being produced of generally a lesser quality than what came before. How much longer will these types of shows be supported?
  • SteevenSteeven Posts: 204
    I maybe finally getting around to watching Logan tonight. Maybe.
    Steeven said:

I maybe finally getting around to watching Logan tonight. Maybe.

I found it to be one of the best X-Men films to date. I think you may enjoy it.