A Comic Cover A Day (is awesome)

Comments

• RobAndersonRobAnderson Posts: 538
    ha! Two cool ones that I don't remember ever seeing before -- thanks for posting!
  • CalibanCaliban Posts: 1,349
    edited December 2012
    And today it has to be Fin Fang Foom!

Yes! I love FFF!
    edited December 2012
    And if it's Sunday it must be the might of Metallo.

These are covers from comics I have bought in the last week
    @Caliban Nice!! You had quite a HAUL this past week!

OK, here's the one the wallpaper software served up today.

1973. Luke Cage. BAM! (You're welcome.) ;)

Sweet Christmas!

I did get quite a haul at a comic sale last week, spent rather a lot but can't resist giant monsters. More tomorrow
  • Here's the one that popped up for me today -- a fun Amazing Spider-Man that includes a John Romita Sr.-gorgeous Mary Jane in VERY 1970's clothes!

What! Is Mary Jane now Poison Ivy? She's wearing plants now.... That might explain Brand New Day. Spidey got doused with Ivy's toxins. Its not magic, its plants.
    Got to love the 2000AD covers. Always interesting.
    @Flintlockjaw -- loving those covers. I've never seen any of them! I agree with @JohnathanConstantine, it's interesting to see them. Thanks!

edited December 2012
    From September 1970 it's Tower of Shadows and Titano

• WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    From September 1970 it's Tower of Shadows and Titano

Zoidberg's Revenge!
    @Flintlockjaw OK, I feel like you put that one up just for me! (Hope the dog made it... ;) )
    @Caliban Cool!

Here's a Gil Kane cover that popped up today -- goes well with your Chamber of Chills -- another I don't recall ever seeing before.

@RobAnderson
    excellent, I love all those 1970s Marvel reprint anthologies with great horror shorts by Ditko and Kirby. Plus, you have to love Gil Kane covers!
  • dubbat138dubbat138 Posts: 3,089
    @RobAnderson
    excellent, I love all those 1970s Marvel reprint anthologies with great horror shorts by Ditko and Kirby. Plus, you have to love Gil Kane covers!

That is why I loved the two mini series Marvel put out in the mid 90s. They reprinted lots of those Ditko or Kirby monster stories. Monster Menace and Curse of the Weird I think were the titles of them.

That is why I loved the two mini series Marvel put out in the mid 90s. They reprinted lots of those Ditko or Kirby monster stories. Monster Menace and Curse of the Weird I think were the titles of them.
    I'll have to check those out!

I'll have to check those out!

They should be easy to find in cheap bins. I got complete runs of each for a dime an issue at a con a few years back.

@FlintLockJaw heh. Enjoying this tour through 2000 AD.

OK, now for something completely different. I don't think of 1973 as a big year for romance comics, but today the software served up the following John Romita, Sr cover!

(As a kid, his rendition of Gwen Stacy made me fall in love with her - and I was therefore traumatized by the story in Amazing Spider-Man #121-122 -- ha)

edited December 2012
    From December 1972 the comic is Supernatural Thrillers #1 and an adaptation of a classic SF story. And I love a Muckman story.

From December 1972 the comic is Supernatural Thrillers #1 and an adaptation of a classic SF story. And I love a Muckman story.

What a great comic. I got it on FCBD this year for a decent price.

I feel like so many of the horror titles in that era were excellent, whether original or reprint. I think they were finally coming out from under the bad days of the Code, and the black and white magazines were flourishing. From Gerber's Man-Thing, Wein & Wrightson on Swamp Thing to Wolfman & Colan on Tomb of Dracula, to all those reprinted shorts...~the early 70's were a fantastic time for horror...
    I feel like so many of the horror titles in that era were excellent, whether original or reprint. I think they were finally coming out from under the bad days of the Code, and the black and white magazines were flourishing. From Gerber's Man-Thing, Wein & Wrightson on Swamp Thing to Wolfman & Colan on Tomb of Dracula, to all those reprinted shorts...~the early 70's were a fantastic time for horror...

The b/w magazine Tales of the Zombie was great.

The b/w magazine Tales of the Zombie was great.
    Absolutely! Another great one. Too many great horror stories in that era to even name them all!

edited December 2012
    From May 1973 it's a science fiction anthology title World Unknown. Inside are two interesting short stories. One of which is Gil Kane's adaptation of Edmond Hamilton's "He that hath wings". Great stuff.

John Romita, Sr. does monsters -- nice!!