A Comic Cover A Day (is awesome)

So, this isn't exactly brain surgery, but it's fun if you love looking at comic covers. I've gotten so much enjoyment out of this, I'm just throwing it out there, so maybe others can enjoy it, too.

For the last year or so, I've had my computer set up so that every day it displays a random cover from 1972 as my desktop wallpaper. (1972 was one of my core "comic-reading-as-a-little-kid" years). You could also do this with, say, all the covers by a certain artist, or all the covers of a certain title, etc. -- whatever floats your boat.

I used a free wallpaper program called "Wallpaper Master" (which can randomly display a cover from a folder with no repeats), an advanced search on Comics.org, and an hour or so to save all those covers into a folder. I've just started to hit repeats, so I'm off in search of "1973" soon.

Being greeted by a new (old) cover every day was WAY more fun then I expected, especially discovering covers that I either never saw as a kid or didn't remember. Here's three that I didn't remember at all...

Enjoy!

KULL cover by John Severin
MARVEL TRIPLE ACTION (reprint inside, but original cover) by JIM STARLIN
MARVEL'S GREATEST COMICS (reprint inside, but original cover) by SAL BUSCEMA (per GCD, though I could also buy JOHN BUSCEMA)

Comments

• batlawbatlaw Posts: 841
    thats realy cool
  • RobAndersonRobAnderson Posts: 531
    Thanks, batlaw...just finished doing 1973 for the next year or so...
  • rebisrebis Posts: 1,820
    edited April 2012
    opps
  • rebisrebis Posts: 1,820

This is great. I'm familiar with Severin's western comics. I've never seen a sword & sorcery cover.
    I kept discovering Severin covers throughout the year -- so many amazing ones -- Westerns as you mentioned, but others as well. RIP...
    edited April 2012
    And if you liked that one, here's another Severin Kull cover, this time from Monsters on the Prowl. This was one of my favorite covers when I was a kid! (I was a big fan of sea monsters/loch ness monster..oh, heck, anything monster!)

As I randomly work my way through Marvel 1973, thought it might be fun to share the oddball covers I don't remember at all or ones that I find interesting for whatever reason...

On the first one, it's clear it was done by two artists. Can you instantly recognize which two artists? Answer after the covers below.

And here's a Gil Kane cover. I just don't remember ever seeing this one at all.

Oh, and the two artists on that first cover were Bill Everett (face of the Sub-Mariner is the giveaway) and Gil Kane (face of the woman is the giveaway there for me...)
  • CalibanCaliban Posts: 1,344
    And if you liked that one, here's another Severin Kull cover, this time from Monsters on the Prowl. This was one of my favorite covers when I was a kid! (I was a big fan of sea monsters/loch ness monster..oh, heck, anything monster!)

I just bought this issue last week

I just bought this issue last week
    Awesome! I still have mine, although it's a bit of a rag from all the times I read it as a kid. =)

edited December 2012
    And here's one I bought at the Comicana open day yesterday, and it's a familiar one for CGS forum regulars.
    And here's one I bought at the Comicana open day yesterday, and it's a familiar one for CGS forum regulars.
    Woot! Woot!

I love Groot, love giant monsters, and love that cover! Thanks for posting that one! =)

Here's the one that popped up for me today -- a fun Amazing Spider-Man that includes a John Romita Sr.-gorgeous Mary Jane in VERY 1970's clothes!

edited May 2012
    Woot! Woot!

I love Groot, love giant monsters, and love that cover! Thanks for posting that one! =)

I bought loads of giant monster comics yesterday. I will post some covers as I go through them

I bought loads of giant monster comics yesterday. I will post some covers as I go through them
    Awesome! One of my prized possessions is an old softcover tpb of all those early Kirby/Ditko giant monster stories...can't get enough of those covers, too!

• Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,051
    edited May 2012

Groot!!!!

edited December 2012
    Today it's Gomdulla!

Love those one shilling prices

Today it's Gomdulla!

Love those one shilling prices
    Oh, wow! That was one of my childhood favorites -- I still have it, I believe, and it is truly a rag from all the re-reading! I loved all 3 stories in this one -- the underwater monster and the alien invasion story, as well as the mummy story.

Great one!

edited December 2012
    If it's Thursday it must be Rommbu! His very name made mankind tremble. Or it made them think that would be 36 points on a double word score.

OK, OK, I'm trembling!! =)
  • WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,307
    Didn't we used to have a forum member who went by "Groot"?

Here's the one that popped up for me today -- a fun Amazing Spider-Man that includes a John Romita Sr.-gorgeous Mary Jane in VERY 1970's clothes!

Peter & Harry are looking pretty groovy too, in their big-collared shirts!

Peter & Harry are looking pretty groovy too, in their big-collared shirts!
    Good point! ha!
    I am Groot was a member here. Haven't seen him/her on forum 4.0 yet.
    I am Groot was a member here. Haven't seen him/her on forum 4.0 yet.
    Ha! My brain hasn't completely rotted away yet.

The random cover I was served today was classic Ploog on Kull!

Love me some Ploog!
    Love me some Ploog!
    Me, too!

I'm sure that won't be the last Ploog cover I post, as I work my way through Marvel in 1973!

Love me some Ploog!
    Me, too!

I'm sure that won't be the last Ploog cover I post, as I work my way through Marvel in 1973!
    Keep on Plooging!
    edited December 2012
    Meanwhile I switch titles for today's giant monster.
    X marks the spot