Supergirl TV Series Discussion

Greg Berlanti, an executive producer on Arrow and The Flash, is developing Supergirl with Ali Adler, whom he worked with on "No Ordinary Family." Geoff Johns is also expected to have a role in the Supergirl project, which is in the early stages of development and expected to be taken out to networks soon. Johns also exec produces Arrow and The Flash. Adler and Berlanti's take is expected to be a new interpretation of the character and her story. Sources reveal that the project will not be called Supergirl. Producers are considering several options that need to be cleared, including Super and Girl.

Read more at deadline.com.

image
«13456718

Comments

  • MattMatt Posts: 3,943
    Does that mean...Power Girl?!

    M
  • Live action Boob window?! BOOB WINDOW?!?!

    image

    ...please put this on HBO....
  • TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,659
    My guess is they'll go the Smallville route and call the character Kara (or Linda) and have her in a high school setting but there'll be a "No wearing of the S" rule in play.

    And I'm in for that. Hell...I'm in for it not matter what they do. It's Supergirl! :)

  • Torchsong said:

    My guess is they'll go the Smallville route and call the character Kara (or Linda) and have her in a high school setting but there'll be a "No wearing of the S" rule in play.

    And I'm in for that. Hell...I'm in for it not matter what they do. It's Supergirl! :)

    I don't think that's the case. I think we're long past making shows like Smallville that dance around the concept of being a superhero/comic book show. Having created full on superhero shows like Arrow and The Flash, it's seems unlikely Greg Berlanti would backstep and create a show like that.

    Also, it seems the show probably won't land at the CW, so if it does get picked up, it will be by CBS, NBC or Fox. I definitely don't think that's the type of show any of those networks want.
  • WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    The title of this thread is a tad misleading.

    "Considered" would be more accurate than "Planned."
  • bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,916
    Would you settle for "developing"? That's one of the terms used in the linked article.
  • TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,659
    tazmaniak said:

    Torchsong said:

    My guess is they'll go the Smallville route and call the character Kara (or Linda) and have her in a high school setting but there'll be a "No wearing of the S" rule in play.

    And I'm in for that. Hell...I'm in for it not matter what they do. It's Supergirl! :)

    I don't think that's the case. I think we're long past making shows like Smallville that dance around the concept of being a superhero/comic book show. Having created full on superhero shows like Arrow and The Flash, it's seems unlikely Greg Berlanti would backstep and create a show like that.

    Also, it seems the show probably won't land at the CW, so if it does get picked up, it will be by CBS, NBC or Fox. I definitely don't think that's the type of show any of those networks want.
    My reasoning behind a "Smallville" type show was a blurb somewhere in one of the articles saying they're shying away from using the words "Super" or "Girl" in the title.

    Seems silly to me, but it sounded like they're trying to present Supergirl...without it being Supergirl, if that makes sense.
  • WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    Torchsong said:

    Seems silly to me, but it sounded like they're trying to present Supergirl...without it being Supergirl, if that makes sense.

    Sense in the context of DC/WB's apparent institutional embarrassment at being in the superhero business.

    (i.e. no damned sense at all)
  • tazmaniaktazmaniak Posts: 728
    edited September 2014
    CBS has given the show, titled 'Supergirl', a series commitment.

    Deadline
    Born on the planet Krypton, Kara Zor-El escaped amid its destruction years ago. Since arriving on Earth, she’s been hiding the powers she shares with her famous cousin. But now at age 24, she decides to embrace her superhuman abilities and be the hero she was always meant to be.
  • TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,659
    tazmaniak said:

    CBS has given the show, titled 'Supergirl', a series commitment.

    Deadline

    Born on the planet Krypton, Kara Zor-El escaped amid its destruction years ago. Since arriving on Earth, she’s been hiding the powers she shares with her famous cousin. But now at age 24, she decides to embrace her superhuman abilities and be the hero she was always meant to be.
    That thunderous sound you hear coming out of the southwestern United States is me doing the happy dance.
  • bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,916
    tazmaniak said:

    CBS has given the show, titled 'Supergirl', a series commitment.

    Deadline

    Born on the planet Krypton, Kara Zor-El escaped amid its destruction years ago. Since arriving on Earth, she’s been hiding the powers she shares with her famous cousin. But now at age 24, she decides to embrace her superhuman abilities and be the hero she was always meant to be.
    This is stellar news!
  • So this means references and perhaps even appearances by Kal?
  • bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,916

    So this means references and perhaps even appearances by Kal?

    Or as @Matt prefers to refer to him, "Kent".
  • MattMatt Posts: 3,943
    I wonder if Helen Slater is available? Still the best Supergirl.

    M
  • Matt said:

    I wonder if Helen Slater is available? Still the best Supergirl.

    M

    If this goes the way of the other DC shows she'll turn up as Kara's mother or cousin or scientist ally.
  • WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    Matt said:

    I wonder if Helen Slater is available? Still the best Supergirl.

    M

    In the same sense as Earth being the best planet you've ever lived on?
  • MattMatt Posts: 3,943
    WetRats said:

    Matt said:

    I wonder if Helen Slater is available? Still the best Supergirl.

    M

    In the same sense as Earth being the best planet you've ever lived on?
    No, Earth is the only planet I've ever lived on. Helen Slater is the only Kara Zor-El I've seen.

    M

  • Matt said:

    WetRats said:

    Matt said:

    I wonder if Helen Slater is available? Still the best Supergirl.

    M

    In the same sense as Earth being the best planet you've ever lived on?
    No, Earth is the only planet I've ever lived on. Helen Slater is the only Kara Zor-El I've seen.

    M

    I have to assume there is at least one word missing from this statement. Because otherwise...
  • MattMatt Posts: 3,943
    Not in the context a

    Matt said:

    WetRats said:

    Matt said:

    I wonder if Helen Slater is available? Still the best Supergirl.

    M

    In the same sense as Earth being the best planet you've ever lived on?
    No, Earth is the only planet I've ever lived on. Helen Slater is the only Kara Zor-El I've seen.

    M

    I have to assume there is at least one word missing from this statement. Because otherwise...
    Not in the context of what I was responding to.

    M
  • I'm going to assume Superman will be on a mission in deep space for about five or six years, or however long this show will be on.
  • playdohsrepublicplaydohsrepublic Posts: 1,377
    edited September 2014
    Matt said:

    Not in the context a

    Matt said:

    WetRats said:

    Matt said:

    I wonder if Helen Slater is available? Still the best Supergirl.

    M

    In the same sense as Earth being the best planet you've ever lived on?
    No, Earth is the only planet I've ever lived on. Helen Slater is the only Kara Zor-El I've seen.

    M

    I have to assume there is at least one word missing from this statement. Because otherwise...
    Not in the context of what I was responding to.

    M
    Yeah. Um... Then I'm confused. Because you both seem to be in agreement with the joke and refuting it at the same time.

    Of course there could be a subtext to which I'm not aware.
  • mphilmphil Posts: 219
    tazmaniak said:

    Torchsong said:

    My guess is they'll go the Smallville route and call the character Kara (or Linda) and have her in a high school setting but there'll be a "No wearing of the S" rule in play.

    And I'm in for that. Hell...I'm in for it not matter what they do. It's Supergirl! :)

    I don't think that's the case. I think we're long past making shows like Smallville that dance around the concept of being a superhero/comic book show. Having created full on superhero shows like Arrow and The Flash, it's seems unlikely Greg Berlanti would backstep and create a show like that.
    Considering they're still afraid to call him Green Arrow I'd say I disagree.

  • bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,916
    I think Flash may help evolve that attitude at CW. I'm not so sure about how CBS is going to handle it.

    Hopefully they will embrace the same attitudes that were demonstrated back when they aired a few seasons of Wonder Woman with Lynda Carter and the Incredible Hulk with Bill Bixby back in the day. And I also enjoyed the way they handled The Flash in the 90's with John Wesley Shipp (which unfortunately had to compete with the Simpson's and the Cosby Show).

    CBS is also the network that tried to get traction with other, now hot, Marvel properties such as Captain America, Spider-Man, and Doctor Strange via TV movies of varying success. I'm willing to give CBS the benefit of the doubt and remain confident and hopeful about the way Supergirl will be shepherded there.
  • WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314

    Because you both seem to be in agreement with the joke and refuting it at the same time.

    That kinda sums up years of interaction between Matt and me.

    :D
  • MattMatt Posts: 3,943
    WetRats said:

    Because you both seem to be in agreement with the joke and refuting it at the same time.

    That kinda sums up years of interaction between Matt and me.

    :D
    I would click the "agree" button, but then you wouldn't have known it was me.

    M
  • WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    Matt said:

    WetRats said:

    Because you both seem to be in agreement with the joke and refuting it at the same time.

    That kinda sums up years of interaction between Matt and me.

    :D
    I would click the "agree" button, but then you wouldn't have known it was me.

    M
    =))
  • bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,916
    Looks like the new ‘Supergirl’ series will likely establish its own independent continuity, outside of ‘Arrow’ and ‘The Flash,’ or the inevitable ‘Justice League‘ movie. The series hasn’t been given a formal series order just yet (only a series commitment). The first casting call for Supergirl fully incorporates the character’s Kryptonian origins, as well as the “Danvers” surname as part of the family who took her in, but it doesn’t seem as if Clark Kent or his more famous alter-ego factor into it. The series is also looking to cast Kara’s foster sister Alex:
    For Kara Zor-El aka Kara Danvers, the show is eyeing Caucasian females, age 22 to 26, to play 24. As the series’ mythology goes, Kara at age 12 was sent from her dying home planet of Krypton to Earth, where she was taken in by the Danvers, a foster family who taught her to be careful with her extraordinary powers. After repressing said skills for more than a decade, Kara is forced to bust out her super moves in public during an unexpected disaster. Energized by her heroism for the first time in her life, she begins embracing her abilities in the name of helping the people of her city, earning herself a super moniker along the way.

    The other lead role currently being cast is that of 26-year-old Alexandra “Alex” Danvers, Kara’s gorgeous, brilliant, science-minded foster sister. Growing up, Alex was partly jealous of her sibling yet also fascinated by her abilities, prompting Alex to learn as much as she could about alien anthropology, sociology and culture. Today, Alex works for a secret government organization and, alongside her heroic sis, will face many challenges, both mundane and super.
    more here


    Then again, here’s how CBS originally described the ‘Supergirl’ TV series:
    Based on the DC Comics character, the drama tells the story of Kara Zor-El, who was born on the planet Krypton, but escaped amid its destruction years ago. Since arriving on Earth, she’s been hiding the powers she shares with her famous cousin Superman. But now, at age 24, she decides to embrace her superhuman abilities and be the hero she was always meant to be.
  • rebisrebis Posts: 1,820
    "But now, at age 24, she decides to embrace her superhuman abilities and be the hero she was always meant to be."

    Could there be some backlash at a 24 year old woman being called Supergirl?
  • random73random73 Posts: 2,318
    rebis said:

    "But now, at age 24, she decides to embrace her superhuman abilities and be the hero she was always meant to be."

    Could there be some backlash at a 24 year old woman being called Supergirl?

    That IS a bit of a faux pas.
  • Matt said:

    I wonder if Helen Slater is available? Still the best Supergirl.

    M

    No love for Laura Vandervoort?

    http://img4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20100920033703/smallville/images/7/70/Laura_VandervoortSM7.jpg
Sign In or Register to comment.