Random Bits Not Worthy of their Own Thread...

Comments

• WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    If something you devise is a device, is something you improvise an improvice?
  • GregGreg Posts: 1,907
    Yesterday I spent almost ten minutes watching thousands of ants attacking something...not sure what it was but it was fascinating to watch.
  • SolitaireRoseSolitaireRose Posts: 1,445
    WetRats said:

As an all-purpose nerd, I tend to have passionate opinions bordering on religious fervor about pretty much any area that interests me.

Same here...and like a lot of geeks I THINK about this stuff a lot.

I'm not as in to music as I once was, but I have had conversations about what bands "matter" and what ones are just fluff. I can passionately argue about the best rockabilly bands, which wrestlers were the best in each decade, which version of Batman is closest to the essence of the character, why Twin Peaks is the most influential TV show of all time and why Gene Roddenberry shouldn't be revered in any way.

I may disagree with someone, but that doesn't mean I don't listen to them, or like them. In fact, I usually get into a discussion about things so that I can learn from people, because I know I don't know everything...I mean, maybe there is an 80's hair metal band that isn't annoying, untalented and deserving of being forgotten.

But I REAAAAAAALY doubt it.

:))

Y'know, the religious fervor that some folk have for music and for their favorite bands was one of the reasons that I gradually stopped listening to and stopped caring about it all years ago. I like what I like, I listen to what I like to listen to, and I don't care what opinions others may have about my tastes, the standing of the musicians I listen to, or anything else. And that's all I'll have to say on the topic.

Religion? THAT'S WHY THE BEST BAND EVER IS THE REVEREND HORTON HEAT!!!!

It's a Psychobilly freak-out!

Religion? THAT'S WHY THE BEST BAND EVER IS THE REVEREND HORTON HEAT!!!!

It's a Psychobilly freak-out!

Southern Culture on the Skids kicks Horton Heat's ass six ways to Sunday.

:!!
  • rebisrebis Posts: 1,820
    WetRats said:

"improvise a dike"

Is that code?
    rebis said:

WetRats said:

"improvise a dike"

Is that code?
    Let's just say it's not something you'd see done at UCB. :D
  • EarthGBillyEarthGBilly Posts: 362
    "Religious fervor" seems to be the phrase of the week. It has popped up in multiple threads.
  • David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,432
    A lot of the comedy podcasters I listen to really hate the post office.
    David_D said:

A lot of the comedy podcasters I listen to really hate the post office.

Stamps.com encourages that hate.
    I wonder if stamps.com would sponsor this thread?
  • GregGreg Posts: 1,907
    edited July 2013
    Dammit all to hell! I got Marc Maron and Chris Hardwick doing commercials stuck in my noggin.
    Greg said:

Dammit all to hell! I got Marc Maron and Chris Hardwick doing comercials stuck in my noggin.

As long as Scott Auckerman's not there, you should be OK.
    BOOMER LIVES!

BOOMER LIVES!

Are we good?
  • John_SteedJohn_Steed Posts: 2,087
    two weeks without VinceB :((
    When I woke up this morning, Steranko was looking through the Kirby hardcovers in my bookshelf. When he saw me, he threw a turtleneck shirt at me and vanished in a puff of smoke and sparkles.

He left one of the books open to a Mr. Miracle page.

When I woke up this morning, Steranko was looking through the Kirby hardcovers in my bookshelf. When he saw me, he threw a turtleneck shirt at me and vanished in a puff of smoke and sparkles.

He left one of the books open to a Mr. Miracle page.

NICE!
    Does anyone remember the ISR Comic Strip that listeners would do? A listener would do a strip with the next guy in line picking up where the previous left off. On one of the strips, I had to pick up with Jim Steranko making an entrance.

btw, Mr. Phil is the beefy bald guy with the bottle of hootch. Charlito is the monkey wearing the Grendel mask.
    Oh, and am I the only one who thought that Batman/Superman was a mess and much more complicated storytelling wise than it needed to be?

Oh, and am I the only one who thought that Batman/Superman was a mess and much more complicated storytelling wise than it needed to be?

I didn't think so.*

*Perhaps because I didn't read it.
    I would really like to see Nick Cave's Gladiator II.
  • MarathonMarathon Posts: 305
    MUUURRRRAAAYYYYY!!!!!

^:)^
    Amused that once again, Rick Vietch's Brat Pack/Maximortal has been ripped off by the very same comics it parodied.
  • David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,432
    edited July 2013
    WetRats said:

Amused that once again, Rick Vietch's Brat Pack/Maximortal has been ripped off by the very same comics it parodied.

?

Which ones?
    David_D said:

WetRats said:

?

Which ones?
    Superman Unchained completely lifts the conceit of a "Superman" being what was actually dropped on Hiroshima & Nagasaki from Maximortal.

Completely.
  • TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,655
    Zeppelin: In the Evening
    Stones: Gimme Shelter
    Rush: Prime Mover

• mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 3,178

I can passionately argue about the which wrestlers were the best in each decade.

1980s Ric Flair & the Steamboat are my top 2. LoD was my favorite tag team (if we can't count all 4 of the horsemen)
  • MarathonMarathon Posts: 305
    What does 'kicked the tires' mean? I see it in American sport all the time, eg. Team A has kicked the tires on Player B.